Add anotations in a webpage, that will be available in your next visit. There are different kind of anotations, as sticky notes, multimedia recordings (audio/video) or text highlighting. Export and share your anotations.
What is My notes?
'My Notes' is a Firefox add-on that empowers users to engage interactively with web content. It allows users to insert sticky notes, multimedia annotations (audio/video), and text highlighting on any webpage. Annotations remain available for future visits, and can be shared or exported for collaborative efforts. It also includes features such as text color customization, resizing notes, linking text with websites, and a sidebar to view all annotated pages.
My notes is a Firefox extension that allows you to add annotations inside a web page. It provides mainly 3 different kinds of annotations:
- Sticky notes: Add colorful notes anywhere on the page and write whatever you want inside. Move or rescale your notes however you want.
- Multimedia annotations: Record audio or video messages and put them wherever you want on the page. You can change the player size, move it and even hide it (an icon that identify the type of annotation will be shown instead).
- Text highlighting: Select any text on the page and makes it highlighted with these annotations by changing its format (cross out, underline, bold). Link the text with any web site or add change text annotations.
Using the extension
In order to create a new note in a page, you only have to follow these steps:
- Wait till the page is completelly loaded (if not, the creation of the note may not work as expected).
- If you want to add an sticky note or a multimedia note, right click in the point you want to add it. If you want to add a text highlighting note, select the desired text and right click.
- In the context menu, go to the option "My notes" and select the annotation type you want to create. Types of notes:
There are different types of notes that can be added, and each type has some particular caracteristics:
- Sticky notes: Creates a rectangle of text in the selected point of the page. It can be moved by dragging it with the mouse and resized by putting the mouse in the borders (and corners) and dragging them (there are a minimum limit for the with and heigth of that annotations). In order to write text, just click inside the note and start to write. Changes are saved when the annotation is moved to a new position, when the resizing operation is over or when it looses the focus.
- Audio notes: Creates an audio note in the selected point of the page. When it is created, this note is shown as a microphone icon. Clicking on it the icon will turn red and it will start to record. Clicking it again will stop the record and will make the icon to change to a musical note. After an audio is recorded, clicking on the icon will show/hide the player. The icon (or the player) can be moved to any place of the page by dragging it. The player can be resized (only horizontally) by dragging its edges, but it has a minimum limit.
- Video notes: Creates a video note in the selected point of the page. When it is created, this note is shown as a cam icon. Clicking on it the icon will turn red and it will start to record. Clicking it again will stop the record and will make the icon to change to a movie frame. After a video is recorded, clicking on the icon will show/hide the player. The icon (or the player) can be moved to any place of the page by dragging it. The player can be resized by dragging its edges, but it has a minimum limit (Note: the height of the player will not change when resizing the note vertically. This will only affect to the video).
- Highlight text notes: Adds a background color to the selected text. This kind of annotation cannot be resized or moved.
- Underline text notes: Underlines the selected text and adds a background color. This kind of annotation cannot be resized or moved.
- Crossout text notes: Crossouts the selected text and adds a background color. This kind of annotation cannot be resized or moved.
- URL text notes: Puts in bold and underlines the selected text, changes the text color and Adds a background color. When this annotation is added, a new popup is opened asking for the URL that will be linked with the note. Write the correct URL (including de protocol, e.g. "HTTP" or "HTTPS") or cancel if you still don´t want to add an URL (there is an option to update the URL in the context menu of the note). If an URL is added, when the mouse hovers the note, the pointer will change to a hand, and the link can be opened by clicking on the note with left button. If the URL is not added, the mouse will change to an arrow and, if you clicks on the note, the popup to add a correct URL will be shown. This kind of annotation cannot be resized or moved.
- Change text notes: Adds a background color to the selected text and a rectangle of text under the selected text. You can write what you want in that rectangle of text. That rectangle of text can be resized by dragging any border (except border on top). It cannot be moved.
This extension provides a sidebar that shows all the pages with annotations. By default, the list of notes in each page will be shown collapsed, but it can be expanded by clicking the
+ icon. When the active page has annotations, it will be shown the first in the list in the sidebar, and will automatically be expanded showing all the notes. When a note cannot be loaded in a page, its format in the sidebar will change (background color will change to red, color will change to white and tooltip will change to the exception raised when trying to load the note). By default, the name of the page will be the URL of the page, but it can be changed by clicking on it with left button and writting the new name.
User reviews summary
- Easy to use
- Great job
- Does the basics well
- Sticky notes have bad UI/UX
- Notes don't reliably show up on the same page
- Background coloring issue for some Firefox versions
- Easy to use
My notes is risky to use as it requires a number of sensitive permissions that can potentially harm your browser and steal your data. Exercise caution when installing this add-on. Review carefully before installing. We recommend that you only install My notes if you trust the publisher.
My notes has earned a fairly good reputation and likely can be trusted.