Check the DNSsec status of every website you browse.
What is DNSSEC?
'DNSSEC' is a Firefox add-on designed to increase security during browsing by verifying the DNSSEC status of visited domains. It indicates whether these domains' zones are appropriately signed with DNSSEC. Although it leverages web services like Cloudflare’s 184.108.40.206 or Google Public DNS for DNS queries, transmitting your browsing history in the process, projections for a custom DNS over HTTPS service in the future promise enhanced privacy.
This add-on will display whether or not the visited domains' zones are signed with DNSSEC in your URL bar.
Please note, for the most privacy-inclined users, that it uses Cloudflare's 220.127.116.11 (by default) or Google Public DNS web services to perform DNS queries. So your browsing history will, in a way, be transmitted to Cloudflare or Google.
In the future, we will allow using a custom DNS over HTTPS service.
User reviews summary
- Simple user interface style
- No extra steps to install
- It works well when correctly functioning
- Lack of ability to choose custom DNS resolver
- Reliability issues with the addon not functioning or providing accurate results
- Privacy concerns due to using Google/Cloudflare for DNS lookups, and potential for a single point of failure
- Need for custom DNS resolver functionality
- Issues with current functionality and accuracy of the extension
- Requests for TLSA support and improved UI compatibility with dark themes
DNSSEC is risky to use as it requires a number of sensitive permissions that can potentially harm your browser and steal your data. Exercise caution when installing this add-on. Review carefully before installing. We recommend that you only install DNSSEC if you trust the publisher.
DNSSEC has earned a fairly good reputation and likely can be trusted.