DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials
Simple and seamless privacy protection for your browser: tracker blocking, cookie protection, DuckDuckGo private search, email protection, HTTPS upgrading, and much more.
What is DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials?
"DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials" is a Firefox add-on designed to provide comprehensive privacy protection during online activities. This extension offers protection from 3rd-party trackers, safeguards your emails from tracking, enforces secure HTTPS connections wherever possible, and offers much more. It also comes with additional special features to help stop companies from collecting your browsing data, blocking link tracking, and disrupting deceptive Google AMP links.
Protecting your privacy online is like protecting your home. Locking the front door won’t stop the most determined folks from getting inside, especially if you’ve left the back door and windows unlocked and an extra key under the doormat. That’s why we offer multiple types of privacy protection, most of which aren’t offered in most popular browsers by default.
With the press of a button, you get seamless protection from most 3rd-party trackers while you search and browse, access to tracking protections for emails you receive, and much more. Together these privacy essentials make more privacy your default.
- Search Privately by Default — DuckDuckGo Private Search comes built-in, so you can easily search the web without being tracked.
- Escape Website Trackers Before They Load — automatically stop most hidden trackers (3rd-party scripts) from loading, which prevents companies from collecting and using (e.g. sale, ads, etc.) any data from these trackers. Our cutting-edge tracker blocking technology – called 3rd-Party Tracker Loading Protection – goes well above and beyond what you get in most popular browsers by default.
- Automatically Enforce Encryption — force many sites you visit to automatically use an encrypted (HTTPS) connection, which helps shield your data from Wi-Fi snoopers and network onlookers like your Internet provider. Most popular browsers only direct users to encrypted versions of pages in specific circumstances, like when you navigate directly to a page in the address bar. We check our list of upgradable sites for all links you click.
- Enable Built-in Email Protection — Over 85% of emails sent to Duck Addresses contained trackers that can detect when you’ve opened a message, where you were when you opened it, and what device you were using. Email Protection makes it easy to block most email trackers and hide your existing address when signing up for things online, all without switching email providers.
- Escape Fingerprinting — help stop companies from creating a unique identifier for you by blocking their attempts to combine specific information about your browser and device settings.
- Block Tracking Cookies— prevent most 3rd-party cookies from tracking you as you browse from site to site.
- Link Tracking Protection — helps stop companies from gathering your browsing history and other information via personal identifiers embedded in the links you click on.
- Embedded Social Content Tracking Protection — blocks embedded Facebook content around the web so they can't track you through their videos, posts, and comments found on other sites. You can easily unblock to view them if desired.
- Google AMP Protection — forces sites to load content directly from publishers instead of using Google-owned links, which are full of creepy trackers.
- Signal Your Privacy Preference with Global Privacy Control (GPC) — built-into our app, GPC intends to help you express your opt-out rights automatically by telling websites not to sell or share your personal information. Whether it can be used to enforce your legal rights (for example, current or future CCPA, GDPR requirements) depends on the laws in your jurisdiction.
Read more about this and our Tracking Protections at https://help.duckduckgo.com/privacy/web-tracking-protections/
You don't need to wait to take back your privacy. Join the millions of people using DuckDuckGo and protect many of your everyday online activities with one app. It's privacy, simplified.
User reviews summary
- Does what it is supposed to do
- Wish for an Android version
- Comes late compared to other adblockers like uBlock Origin
- Unnecessary according to a user as other adblockers fulfill the purpose
- Installation issues on browsers
- Seems like Firefox is blocking this add-on
- Can slow down the page due to the processing time it uses
- Currently broken and fails to load the website
- Issues with installation
- Slows down page loading time
- Broken and fails to load website
- Comparison with other adblockers
DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials is not very risky to use and it requires a lot of sensitive permissions. Avoid installing this add-on unless you absolutely trust this publisher.
DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials has earned a good reputation and can be trusted.