Mendeley Web Importer
Fast, convenient import of references and PDFs to your Mendeley Reference Manager library
What is Mendeley Web Importer?
Mendeley Web Importer is a Firefox add-on meticulously designed to effortlessly import references and PDFs into your Mendeley Reference Manager library. By simply clicking the Mendeley Web Importer button in the browser toolbar, it can discover article metadata and PDF full texts associated with the page you are currently browsing. You can add these to your Mendeley account library, making reading and citing articles a breeze. The add-on also requires certain permissions such as accessing data for all websites, browser tabs, and displaying notifications for an optimized user experience.
Clicking the Mendeley Web Importer button in the browser toolbar finds article metadata and PDF full texts associated with the page you are viewing. You can then add these to your Mendeley account library which makes it easy to read and cite the articles. To sign up and receive 2GB free storage space, visit https://www.mendeley.com.
Mendeley Web Importer needs to read and store some browser information. We also log some of this information to help analyse problems and guide product development:
- Cookies. These are stored in your browser and are used to sign you into your Mendeley account.
- The URL of the page on which Mendeley Web Importer is used. This tells us which sites Mendeley Web Importer should work with.
- IP address. This tells us when you belong to an institution that is entitled to extra benefits, e.g. Elsevier content provided to a university.
- Web browser version and language settings. This tells us what we should support.
- Other data about add-on use that guides product development. No account details are associated with this data.
The extension will not work without these permissions:
- Access data for all websites. This lets us find and retrieval full text (PDF) links in the background for you.
- Access browser tabs. This lets us show the Mendeley Web Importer user interface in the current web page and search it for article metadata.
- Display notifications. We use these to alert you about errors such as failing to upload a PDF. They are not used for advertising.
Last updated 2020-03-10
User reviews summary
- Eases task of looking for manuscripts
- Safe and useful
- Very easy to use
- Trouble to sign in
- Very slow
- Forcing users to use cloud services, no local storage
- Bad User Interface
- Ease of usage
- Slow speed
- Issues with signing in
Mendeley Web Importer is risky to use as it requires a number of sensitive permissions that can potentially harm your browser and steal your data. Exercise caution when installing this add-on. Review carefully before installing. We recommend that you only install Mendeley Web Importer if you trust the publisher.
Mendeley Web Importer has earned a fairly good reputation and likely can be trusted.