What is Port Authority?
Port Authority is a free and open-source (FOSS) Firefox add-on designed to enhance privacy and security. It prevents potential port scanning via HTTP/HTTPS/WS/WSS/FTP/FTPS, dynamically blocks the ThreatMetrix tracking scripts used by Lexis Nexis, gives a notification when a malicious script or port scan is blocked, and allows users to establish a whitelist of trusted domains. The add-on doesn't store or transmit any information about the user or their requests, maintaining the utmost respect for privacy.
Code This addon is free and open-source software (FOSS) all code can be found here: https://github.com/ACK-J/Port_Authority Please report your bugs or feature requests in a GitHub issue instead of in a review.
Blog Post (Currently Down) https://www.g666gle.me/Port-Authority/
Test if it works! (Currently Down) https://www.g666gle.me/PortScan.html
What does this addon do?
- Blocks all possible types of port scanning (HTTP/HTTPS/WS/WSS/FTP/FTPS)
- Dynamically blocks the ThreatMetrix tracking scripts made by one of the largest and least ethical data brokers IMO (Lexis Nexis)
- Easily auditable, with the core functionality being about 250 lines of commented code. HERE
- Gives an optional notification when one of the above scenarios are blocked
- Provides an optional whitelist to prevent portscans and tracking scripts from being blocked on trusted domains
- This addon doesn't store/transmit any data or metadata about you or your requests... because ya know privacy
- Monero Address: 89jYJvX3CaFNv1T6mhg69wK5dMQJSF3aG2AYRNU1ZSo6WbccGtJN7TNMAf39vrmKNR6zXUKxJVABggR4a8cZDGST11Q4yS8
- Total donated (Aug 1, 2023): 0.0 XMR
User reviews summary
- Works very well in preventing websites from port scanning
- Option to whitelist domains
- Difficulty in disabling notifications
- Causes browser to boot-loop
- Issues with redirection to localhost port
- Port scanning prevention
- Notification settings
- Domain whitelist feature
- Issues with localhost redirection
- Browser boot-loop
Port Authority is risky to use as it requires a number of sensitive permissions that can potentially harm your browser and steal your data. Exercise caution when installing this add-on. Review carefully before installing. We recommend that you only install Port Authority if you trust the publisher.
Port Authority is probably trust-worthy. Prefer other publishers if available. Exercise caution when installing this add-on.