For my autistic son. Limits tabs to maintain system responsiveness.
What is Limit Tabs?
"Limit Tabs" is a Firefox add-on that helps manage system responsiveness by setting a maximum limit to the number of open tabs. It automatically removes a tab - newest, least recently used, or those at the extremes - when the count exceeds the set limit, excluding pinned tabs. Created initially to help an autistic child, it is now available for all to prevent system lag due to excessive open tabs. It offers the flexibility to set the limit per window or globally. The add-on is easy to disable or enable and is highly customizable to suit individual needs.
This add-on limits tabs by removing a tab -- newest (the one being added), least recently used, left-most or right-most -- when a new tab is added that takes the number of open tabs to more than the limit. Pinned tabs are ignored. The limit can be applied per window (default) or globally.
This was created to keep my autistic son sane. Without it, he would open a zillion tabs, then get frustrated when the system bogged down.
On installation, the tab limit will be set to the number of tabs in all windows. Click the toolbar icon to toggle between enabled/disabled. Use preferences to tweak the add-on to suit your needs.
User reviews summary
- Helps users with too many open tabs manage and reduce their number effectively
- Simple and effective tool for tab management
- Compatible with other tab management add-ons like 'Tree Style Tab'
- Improves system responsiveness by reducing excessive tabs
- Can enforce both global and per-window tab limits
- Users can easily bypass the limit by changing settings or removing the add-on
- Lack of a feature to lock the limit setting to prevent easy changes
- Does not support volume control for the alert sounds
- Does not count pinned tabs towards the limit
- The icon design and color choice could be improved
- Improvement in managing large numbers of tabs
- Desire for more control options, such as locking limit settings and volume control for sounds
- Compatibility with other tab management extensions and the overall simplicity of the add-on
- The responsiveness of the system improving after closing tabs to meet the set limit
- The lack of a feature to exclude or count pinned tabs in the limit
Limit Tabs is safe to use. It does not request any sensitive permissions.
Limit Tabs is probably trust-worthy. Prefer other publishers if available. Exercise caution when installing this add-on.