Save webP as PNG or JPEG (Converter)
Convert any image (WebP, AVIF, etc.) to PNG or JPEG (with choice of quality) for downloading. Right-click context menu calls up format options overlaid on the image. Read the detailed description and check the screenshots for more info.
What is Save webP as PNG or JPEG (Converter)?
'Save webP as PNG or JPEG (Converter)' is a Firefox add-on allowing users to convert any image (WebP, AVIF, etc.) to either PNG or JPEG format before downloading. Right-clicking on an image will present format options overlaid on the image. Additional features include re-requesting images as Internet Explorer 11, sending animated WebP images to ezgif.com for conversion to animated GIFs, and a button for copying images to the Clipboard in PNG format.
This extension allows converting from WebP (or any other format) to PNG or JPEG. There also is a button to re-request the image masquerading as Internet Explorer 11 (you might need to click it a second time because Firefox likes to serve the cached image), and a button to send animated WebP images to ezgif.com for conversion to animated GIFs.
New in version 1.4: New button to Copy the image to the Clipboard in PNG format. Permission needs to be enabled on the Add-ons page (click the gear/wheel button on the add-on button bar, then click Permissions, then click the slider switch for "Input data to the clipboard).
If you want to discourage sites from sending webP format images at all, especially if you are having trouble saving GIFv files, check out my other extension: Don't "Accept" image/webp.
Configuring the context menu item
These are the default actions, but you can switch them around to fit your needs (on the Options panel):
- Click "Save webP as..." to show format/quality buttons overlaid on the image
- Shift+click "Save webP as..." to save in PNG format
- Ctrl+click "Save webP as..." to save in JPEG format at 92% quality (on Mac, use Command+click)
Custom save folders
User reviews summary
- Converts images effectively
- Highly customizable
- Enables quick download of images in preferred formats
- Features like 'save directly in last saved folder' and 'open image in new tab' appreciated
- Sometimes only part of the image gets saved
- Issues with saving images located in frames
- Some users find the pop-up warning for each conversion annoying
- Doesn't always work for all images
- Functional and efficient conversion
- Requires certain tweaks for improved user experience
- Possibility of silent or hidden conversion instead of a pop-up alert
- Compatibility issues with certain versions of Windows and Photoshop
Save webP as PNG or JPEG (Converter) is risky to use as it requires a number of sensitive permissions that can potentially harm your browser and steal your data. Exercise caution when installing this add-on. Review carefully before installing. We recommend that you only install Save webP as PNG or JPEG (Converter) if you trust the publisher.
Save webP as PNG or JPEG (Converter) is probably trust-worthy. Prefer other publishers if available. Exercise caution when installing this add-on.