Listen to Youtube audio, no video is downloaded (save CPU, GPU, bandwidth and battery) It doesn't work on all videos. (Some videos doesn't provide audio only stream.) Live is not supported.
What is Youtube audio_only?
Youtube audio_only is a Firefox add-on that allows you to listen to Youtube audio without downloading the video. It saves CPU, bandwidth, and battery by avoiding video playback. Not all videos are supported and live streams are not supported. The add-on improves performance, removes slowdown on non-youtube pages, and supports embedded videos.
Changes I make: Improve performance (less cpu, memory usage), remove slow down side effort on non-youtube related pages, add embedded video support (ex: NightBot autodj), Disabling extension reloads active tab only (page containing youtube)
Rewrite is based on Youtube Audio by Animesh Kundu.
User reviews summary
- Works well and consistently for most users
- Improves YouTube load times, especially for audio
- Helps in saving bandwidth and data usage
- Requires 'Access your data for all websites' permission
- Some users reported continuous refreshing of videos, interrupting playback
- Does not support audio downloads, only blocks video
- Works well particularly for listening to music or talks on YouTube
- Effective alternative to other YouTube audio-only add-ons
- Some technical issues with the add-on interrupting or stopping playback
Youtube audio_only is risky to use as it requires a number of sensitive permissions that can potentially harm your browser and steal your data. Exercise caution when installing this add-on. Review carefully before installing. We recommend that you only install Youtube audio_only if you trust the publisher.
Youtube audio_only is probably trust-worthy. Prefer other publishers if available. Exercise caution when installing this add-on.