MetaClean for Gmail
Removes metadata and hidden data in email attachments preventing the leakage of confidential information that occurs in this type of communication and avoiding possible economic and reputational damages derived from the malicious use of metadata.
What is MetaClean for Gmail?
MetaClean for Gmail is a Firefox add-on by Adarsus Developer Team. This add-on has 76 daily active users and a perfect 5.0 rating. The latest version, 2.1.7, was updated a month ago.
Rating: 5.00 (1)
Version: 2.1.7 (Last updated: 2023-02-24)
Creation date: 2022-03-21
Weekly download count: 3
Firefox on Android: No
Manifest version: 2
Email: Click to see
Risk impact: Moderate risk impact
Risk likelihood: Moderate risk likelihood
Found a bug?
Why should you use MetaClean for Gmail?
- Data Breach Prevention: Every document contains metadata. For example, metadata is embedded in the file and is different to the information that is typed on the page – such as Author, track changes or comments. It can tell the reader who created the document, how long was spent editing it, and where the document is saved. Cleaning a document of metadata means that the recipient will only be sent what would be printed. Removing potentially harmful forms of metadata from the attached files is a risk area that should be considered when investigating ways to prevent email-related data leaks.
- Phishing Attack Prevention: MetaClean prevents the exfiltration of information through metadata which is commonly used to generate phishing attacks.
- Ease of use and there is no user registration required: Just install and enjoy it!
- This extension automatically processes the document's metadata when it is attached, you don't need to take any additional action, ensuring that the attachments you send are free of metadata and personal information.
- It allows you to quickly and intuitively select the types of files to process (see screenshot).
- It shows information of interest to the user, for example when a PDF file is digitally signed.
- FREE for personal use.
- Removes metadata from all versions of Microsoft Office, Open/Libre Office, PDF, RTF and Image, Audio and Video files. (See the list of supported file formats at: https://www.adarsus.com/en/file-formats-compatible-with-metaclean/)
- Supports ZIP and 7Z files: compressed documents will be processed by MetaClean.
- Detection of signed PDF files: To avoid invalidation of the signature, a warning will be displayed indicating whether you want to process the metadata of the signed PDF file (see screenshot).
- Displays a warning when attaching Microsoft Office files with change control and/or comments enabled.
- Delete hidden data such as: Printer routes, history of document changes, etc.
- For free version, the tag "Metadata removed by MetaClean (www.adarsus.com)" will be added to the keyword metadata in processed documents.
- Creation of metadata templates to remove, add or modify standard and customized metadata tags.
- The text: "Metadata removed by MetaClean (www.adarsus.com)" will be removed from the metadata tag: keyword.
MetaClean for Gmail requires some risky permissions and may not be safe to use. Exercise caution when installing this add-on. Review carefully before installing.
Subscribe to the premium plan to see more risk analysis details
MetaClean for Gmail is probably trust-worthy. Prefer other publishers if available. Exercise caution when installing this add-on.
View all user reviews
Easy to use and very fast. Highly recommended.